Sunday, September 20, 2009

Feng Shui Tip: September 2009

Fall is just 2 days away. I can't believe how quickly this year is speeding by.

The approach of Autumn seems a good time to revisit de-cluttering your space. How have you done with that task?

For me, it's still a work in progress. I have pared things down a bit, more can be done on that front. We'll be moving in a few weeks, so that will give me another opportunity to re-evaluate my possessions and determine what still fits, and what needs to go.

This can be a very sensitive subject. The stuff of our lives carry memories. I had a recent conversation with an acquaintance about something he was selling, something that no longer fit, but had sat around for quite awhile before he was ready to part with it. One of the comments he made, which was really poignant for me, was that he was concerned that the memories associated with the item would go with it. That the visual stimulus of seeing it triggered those memories, and without it, the memories might fade.

In my March 2009 Part A post, I touched on the idea of letting the things in your space be those the evoke positive feelings. I'd like to talk a little more about that this month.

Several years ago we received a gift from some friends, some artwork. It didn't resonate with me. There was nothing especially wrong with it, I just didn't like looking at it. I even had it framed and hung it for awhile, but it bothered me when I saw it. I finally got around to asking my husband how he felt, and as he was indifferent, we agreed to let it go. I'm happier when I walk into the room now (our home office) and the artwork I see is pleasing to me.

As we move into the fall season, and for some of us, that means a lot more indoor time, I invite you to talk a slow walk through your house and notice how you feel about the things you see. Do it when you have some time to relax and look with fresher eyes upon the things that you see every day. Are they pleasing, do you like the arrangement, the contrast? Is there anything that causes you any distress when you see it?

Sentimental items, though emotionally valuable, can sometimes carry heavy emotional energy with them. If you encounter anything like this on your journey through your home space, take some time to consider whether you could let it go. Or perhaps, just pack it away, so that you can take it out occasionally when you're feeling strong and need to revisit that time, place or person. Be gentle with yourself as you think about the memories and feelings that an item may evoke, and consider carefully what would feel best.

The goal of Feng Shui is to optimize the lives of the occupants of the home or other space. This is a very simple, but powerful thing that you can do to create better energy in your dwelling. I want my home to be a place to rest, to play, to be inspired, to join with friends and family, to create. I want to same for you.

Happy Autumn 2009.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea, the taking a walk through and simply select our best things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diana, I totally agree with you. I have been practicing Feng Shui for about 3 years and it has made a huge difference in my life. I regularly weed out the things that don't make me smile. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate this advice Diana, it's something we can all use. My problem is when I look around my house I LOVE everything! Still I am always trying to simplify.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone, and thank you all for the lovely comments!

    Lori ann, if you're loving everything, there may be no need to clear out. I hear you on simplfying though, more of that is needed in my life!

    ReplyDelete